I could easily (and quite often do) eat chicken salad two or three times a week. Now it’s very easy for me to go to Whole Foods and grab a thing of chicken salad from their already prepared foods area. It is very good and I get it on occasion. Where is the fun in that though when you can make it yourself? And when you make it yourself you can adjust the ingredients to make it exactly how you like it best.
It’s very easy to make and it works well for doing tour week long meal prep. This recipe will make enough for three chicken salad sandwiches/wraps.
I use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store when I make mine. It’s just easier to buy it already cooked rather cooking the chicken yourself. If you do use rotisserie chicken I recommend that you remove the skin. A normal rotisserie chicken will give you enough chicken to make two batches of chicken salad.
Most chicken salad recipes that you’ll see use pecans but I decided to change it up and use pistachios. This is purely personal preference. You can of course use pecans if you wish; or no nuts at all.
Postachio Chicken Salad
Yield 4 servings
- 2 cups chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, quartered
- 1 bulb shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- If you're using pistachios still in their shell you'll have to peel them and remove the skin. The way I remove the skin is by putting them in a Tupperware container and shaking them vigorously. Once all the brown skins have been removed coarsely chop the pistachios.
- Chop chicken into small bite size pieces.
- Remove stems from grapes and quarter them.
- Mince shallot and dill.
- Add all the prepared ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl and add greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together and season to taste.
- I've found that allowing the chicken salad to rest for a bit in the fridge lets all the ingredients set and the flavors meld.
- Put a couple big spoonfuls of the chicken salad on whatever you choose to eat it off... I prefer spinach wraps.
As always thank you for taking a few moments from your day to read over this and I hope that you are able to try this recipe sometime and that you enjoy it. Feedback and comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Have a blessed day,