What do you do when you want to cook dinner, you don’t want to go get groceries, and you don’t want to order from Uber Eats? You experiment. I must say that some experiments come out better than others, and in this case my grabbing of ingredients that I had in my kitchen worked out pretty damn good.
I was sitting in my apartments getting ready to head to campus for class and couldn’t decide what I wanted to eat. I knew I didn’t want anything too heavy since I had had a pretty heavy lunch already. Frozen cod is something I generally keep in the freezer; it doesn’t take much time to thaw it and it’s really pretty easy to make. You can use my garlic & parmesan fish recipe or you can use this one.
Once I got my frozen cod filet into some cold water to thaw out it was time to figure out how I was going to cook it. It was really as simple as grabbing a few random spices that I thought would go well together and determining what kind of sauce I wanted to make. I love caper and wanted to try and make a sauce out of it. Then looking at my kitchen storage table that houses all my coffee gadgets and roasting pans I saw a lemon and half a head of garlic. There’s my sauce.
The cooking of the fish was easiest thing to decide. A simple pan sear on both sides and then into the oven to continue cooking while I made the sauce. I keep the oven as low as I can set it because the fish will finish cooking in the pan while it is basted in the sauce. It’s really nothing more than that.
Cod with Brown Caper Butter
Yield 2 servings
- 2 cod filets
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- salt & pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Add enough to a pan over medium heat to lightly coat the bottom.
- Season fish with dill, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Add fish to pan and cook for 2 minutes; flip fish and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer fish from the pan to an oven proof dish and place it in the oven.
- Over medium low heat add the butter, garlic, and capers. Sauté together for 5 minutes or so until butter begins to brown.
- Remove the fish from the oven and add it back to the pan with the brown butter sauce. Baste the fish for a minute or so in the sauce and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fish.
- Now it's as simple as sitting back and enjoying this amazing recipe!
As always thank you for taking a few moments from your day to read over this and I hope that you are able to try this recipe sometime and that you enjoy it. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.
Have a blessed day,